Bill Jonas on Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:40:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SCSI tape question

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 11:34:29AM -0500, Beldon wrote:
> How do you tell (or is there a utility to show) what node a given device is
> on?  I'm running a modified RH7 with the 2.4.2 kernel.  I've looked in
> several sources but they are pretty vague as to whether something would be
> /dev/st1 or /dev/nst or what.  There's got to be a better way than trying tar
> to all possible devices.

Hint: the "rewinding" devices do not start with an n.  This means that
after you write to them (or do a listing of what's on them, or whatever),
they will rewind the tape.  The "non-rewinding" devices start with an n --
these *don't* rewind, which is useful if you want to make multiple
archives on the same tape.  Also, if you want to position the tape (with
mt(1) (I think), for example), you need to use the non-rewinding device --
else, you'll position the tape, and then it will rewind.

Note that I don't have much experience with tape drives.

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You