gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:46:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Using DD to backup main disk when PC running

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:40:59AM -0500, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> Luckily I do the copy (backup) overnight, so the file system stays the
> same (no use made of it).

Not so much.

Typically lots of cron jobs run by default overnight.

Kind of depends on what root's crontab looks like on your machine,
but the night time hours are default times for log rotation,
tripwire/mtree running, and so forth.

I presume, though, that you're doing this dd by way of cron and that
you've meshed it with your existing schedule, so that shouldn't be a
big deal.

(One thing to keep in mind: avoid scheduling anything between 1 am
and 3 am in root's crontab. In the Spring, it'll be skipped. In the
fall, it'll run twice. Each time just one day. Think about it.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net