Charles Stack on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:00:28 -0500

RE: [PLUG] hubs vs switches

Hubs are devices that share bandwidth in favor of ease of connectivity.
Let's say you have a 100 MB LAN and and a 10 port hub.  If all ports are in
use, the bandwidth will be reduced to to 10MB per user.  In essense, each
hub provides a mini-network.

Switches, on the other hand, are designed for higher throughput.  They adapt
to the IP address of the host on the other end and provide full network
bandwidth.  Traffic originating or destined to a particular host will flow
through the channel rather than all network channel (as in a hub).  This
feature also makes the totally immune to packet sniffers.

Judicious use of hubs and switches can help you take maximum benefit from
your network.

Charles