Kevin Brosius on Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:30:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] segfault

Michael Whitman wrote:

> Yeah, this is RH 6.2, and I did all the security and regular updates from
> errata.
> figured if redhat listed them us updates they would be harmless...
>
> [whitman@CN613286-A whitman]$ which ps
> /bin/ps
> [whitman@CN613286-A whitman]$ ldd `which ps`
>          libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40018000)
>          /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
> [whitman@CN613286-A whitman]$

How about running ps under gdb?  The bt output might explain the
problem.

Do they segfault under both user and root accounts?  Have you rebooted
since running the updates, and does the problem remain the same?  (Or
run ldconfig as root after doing the updates, if you don't want to
reboot.)

Another thought, did the RH updates update libc, ldconfig, ld-linux or
ps/top?  Maybe you've updated one of these, but not all?