gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:07:56 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Screen Captures

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:14:55AM -0500, Adam wrote:
> uhhh... isn't "import" a standard app?

No, but xwd is.

(wd for "window dump".)

Doesn't look like it's got a man page on the Debian box I have handy
to check, but I didn't set it up, so that could be a configuration
error.

Regardless, it's the only thing I know of that's a standard part of
X11R6. It outputs in its own format, but you can use xwdtopnm (NOT a
standard utility, so far as I can tell) to transfer that to a pbm
(for black and white) pgm (for grayscale) or ppm (for color) image.
(xwdtopnm decides for itself which of these to use.)

xv and xloadimage (maybe called xli on your system) knows how to
grok an X window dump, if memory serves.

It's not possible to grab a screen capture of a tty since it's not
an image to begin with, but text handed to your graphic card for
display. (The graphic card is in text mode, rather than graphic
mode.) Well, that is, unless you're using one of those weirdo
graphic-mode text displays (necessary on systems for unicode and on
most systems for Japanese/Korean/Chinese display). If you're going
to want a record of something in text mode, use script or tee.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net