Bill Jonas on Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:57:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DSL

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:35:22PM -0500, Kris Steinwender wrote:
>      A client of mine has FastPoint DSL service (which is non-existent come
> April 1).  He called
> SpeakEasy,  and they were rather rude to him.

Hmm.  I've used Speakeasy for a while now, and they've been pretty good.
Did they refer him to http://www.speakeasy.net/switch ?  According to the
recording for tech support, there are documents that people who are
switching must read and agree to.  Anyway...

>     He requires 2 IP address as well as the ability to host his own servers.
>
>     A provider that doesn't use PPoE is preferred.

A few of my friends are quite happy with DCA.net; servers are permitted,
and you receive 6 static IP addresses free.  (I get two with Speakeasy,
and am also permitted to run servers.)  A disadvantage is that your IP
addresses are tied to the MAC addresses of the ethernet interfaces; you
have to call them up for any change, so this limits your flexibility
somewhat.  (Although some might see this as an advantage, for certain
(ill-guided, IMO) definitions of the word "security".)

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin