Kevin Brosius on Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:08:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Wireless service

Charles Stack wrote:

> Anybody familiar with the new high-speed wireless that some ISPs are
> installing?  My ISP is talking about it as a replacement for DSL (he no
> longer offers DSL because of the COVAD/Northpoint issues).  Says 500kbps for
> those withing the transmitter's range.
>
> Has anybody actually seen this work?  If so, is performance acceptable to
> actually run home based servers?
>
> TIA,
>
> cjs

Do you have any more info?  Which ISP?  Sounds interesting depending on
the coverage and pricing.  There are a few offerings I've read about
(mostly central/western US), but the user equipment is usually very
pricey (>$500 setup) or they have a very limited range.

If you don't need 500k, Richochet service from Metricom works well in
this area (philly and NW suburbs).  It's 128k down & 64k up with burst
rates higher than 128k.  Info at www.ricochet.com and a provider at
www.wwc.com.  It's more expensive than DSL, but portable.

--
Kevin Brosius