Kevin Brosius on Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:21:43 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Cell Phones & Computers /Nokia/Cingular?

"M. Jackson Wilkinson" wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:15:53PM -0500, Paul J. Andrel, Jr wrote:
> >

> > Overall I'm pretty impressed with the Sprint stuff, their on-line account
> > >maintenance is a breeze and the minutes usage is accurate and upto date
> > >and their coverage in the metropolitan areas is good. I haven't dropped
> > >off their network at all yet.
> > >
> > >Mike
> >
> > My main complaint about sprint is dead-zones in Chester  and Montgomery
> > County, They were fine in Delaware County and CC. I'm with cingular now and
> > have no complaints and I had no complaints about AT&T's Digital One Rate.
> > Only down sides is to take a 8860 from AT&T to Cingular you have to get it
> > reprogrammed by cingular which has to be done in Georgia cause AT%T has
> > there phones programmed to search different band's first.
> >
> > -Paul Andrel
>
> This is the case with all services.  The only phones that are truly
> cross-network are available on a beta basis in California, or big time in
> Hong Kong.  That is simply the way they work, and they need to replace the
> provider chip in the phone, not simply reprogram it.

That's one of the advantages of GSM.  You can swap out the SIM card for
another provider's all by yourself.  It's kind of a moot point in this
area, as only VoiceStream provides GSM service here.  But you can take
some of the GSM phones (multi-band models) out of the USA, grab a local
SIM, and use the phone for local calls.

--
Kevin Brosius