Michael C. Toren on Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:43:43 -0400

Re: [PLUG] qpopper weirdness

> with the 16Mb, the copying back and forth takes about 10 seconds each,
> probably enough to make the microcrap shit choke. this is what i am
> assuming - i have no access to the client computer as it's 4000 miles
> away. but i am wondering why qpopper decides to cp/rm that file rather
> than mv it... a security measure? doesn't want to get into my head...

I believe it's part of the POP3 specification; POP3 is a very ugly
protocol.  Some implementations deliberately break the RFC to get around
this, though -- cucipop comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others.  If
you're using Debian, try doing "grep-available -FProvides pop3-server".

-mct