Rupert Heesom on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:30:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] crontab entry not working

On 18 Apr 2001 13:02:23 -0700, Alex Barylo wrote:

> --- Rupert Heesom <raheesom@navpoint.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a crontab entry which would create
> > a file with the
> > current day's date as the file name.   To test the cron
> > entry, I put
> > together the following cron line.  The error I get
> > mailed to me, are the
> > 2 lines below.   Evidently cron doesn't like the "%" I
> > have in the
> > command.    Is this normal?
>
> Yes, it is. For cron it means that the next line is a
> continuation of the current one. If I'm not mistaken. Put
> %% to get %

Thanks for your quick reply, Alex.  However when I tried the suggested
command -

    */2 * * * * touch $(date +%%a-%%e-%%m)

the same error msg appeared in my mail.

Where can I find documentation on doing crontab stuff?   I looked at the
man & info pages for "crontab", but they just talked about how to
execute the "crontab" command.

Except for some basic info in Linux books, I can't find out how to
troublshoot my cron jobs!

Could you also look at the other msg that I posted, another question re
cron jobs?

--
regs
rupert