gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 18 May 2001 20:50:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] What every retailer should know

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 12:17:48PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
> get ready for comedy!
>
>   http://www.pantsfullofunix.net/ms_white/

Aside from the fact that most of the criticisms listed there are
dead on (Linux sucks for point of sale, period), I think the
majority of the *LUG readership probably saw this on slashdot.

The tone of the article is unfortunate (pointing out flaws in
another's product rather than postive characteristics in their own),
but the only real lie there is the implicit suggestion that Windows
does *not* require the kind of continuous maintenance and support
that Linux does. (That's just horse shit. No computer, much less
POS, system works for and extended period of time without maintenance.)

> and on a related note, i want to make sure that you all know about the
> following two sites, which i think are excellent! especially the kirch
> paper was one of the better reads i had in a long time!
>
>   http://www.vcnet.com/bms/
>   http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/

I am, similarly, far more in favor of the second (where resides the
quite well-written Kirch paper in question) than the first.

Better to compare unbiasedly or, if you can't do that, do nothing
but tout your own features than it is to speak ill of another
company.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net