gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 29 May 2001 17:10:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] mutt

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 02:35:03PM -0400, Ed Nestor wrote:
> I am unable to send mail to PLUG using mutt.  The message I get is;
> "ed@localhost.localdomain - domain does not exist".
>
> Is there something I can set in mutt or sendmail to fix this.  I have
> set "my_header From: <to my e-mail address> in mutt and this for the
> >From field, so it's not that.

No, that just adds an extra From field, that's no help alone.

I'm not sure if you're trying to send mail as ejn88@voicenet.com
or ed@your.dom.

In the latter (easier) case, you should only need:

set hostname="your.dom"

... in your .muttrc or /etc/Muttrc (but see * below).

If you actually *are* trying to send mail out as ejn88@voicenet.com
from your local machine which is *not* the mail exchanger for
voicenet.com, things get a little more complicated, as mutt *really*
likes sending things from you as your username. In that case, you'll
want to do:

unset use_from
my_header From: ejn88@voicenet.com

Unsetting use_from causes mutt *not* to generate its usual From
header, meaning that your user generated one will actually make a
difference. (I think. But I've never tired to do this, so YMMV.)

* If sendmail thinks it's localhost.localdomain as well, it's going
to have a very hard time receiving email. Are you actually running
the sendmail smtpd daemon to receive mail locally?

If so, you'll need to figure out some kind of fully qualified domain
name for your machine that the rest of the world knows (and will be
sending mail to). Then, minimally, you need to define the W (or O,
if that's the way your sendmail is set up) class to contain more
than just localhost. (Don't worry too much about that paranthetical.
Your default install is almost definitely not using the O class in
place of the W class.) In /etc/sendmail.cf, find the line that looks
like this:

Cw localhost

... and add your fully qualified domain name to the end of that
line, separated by a space.

If you're going to be adding a bunch of FQDNs here, it's probably
more appropriate to do something like:

Fw/etc/sendmail.cw

... and populate /etc/sendmail.cw with the FQDNs, one per line.

If all of this sounds a bit like a magic incantation, you might want
to check out O'Reilly's sendmail book.

(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sendmail2/)

Alternately, you could just use Postfix as your smtpd. I find it
much simpler, and the man pages describe clearly a minimal set up.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net