timo on Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:10:06 -0400

[PLUG] permissions and setuid

(warning:  I'm still a newbie!)

I'm having some problems implementing setuid/setgid.  I think I have
an understanding of what they do, I just don't seem to be able to
get them to work.  I also think this is what I need to do to
accomplish my goal.

Here's the problem:
I connect to DSL through PPPOE (yeah, I know...).  Root has sole
permission to run that command.  I've messed with the permissions
a little so I can no longer tell you what they were originally.
Fact remains, I don't want anyone other than root to run this
particular command.  I do want users (aka me) to be able to be able
to get the box online (this is all an attempt at making an idea
work, in the case of my single user box all of this really has no
point...).  I wrote a simple shell script performing a couple of
no-point-having operations then calling the adsl-start command.
My scripts are executable for users.  This is no problem.  Now,
how do I allow my script to use the adsl-start command without
allowing users to run it directly.  I want this script to be the
only means of getting the box online.

I've looked at the cryptic man page.  None of my books really
address other this aside from a description.

Advice would be much appreciated!

timo