Bill Jonas on Sat, 2 Jun 2001 23:55:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ELF Init section

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 10:24:06PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Ewww. OpenBSD is still using a.out (that's what that is, btw) on their
> i386 port?

Ah, okay.  I started using Linux shortly after (if I understand my
chronology correctly) shortly after (what I hear) was the very painful
switch from a.out to ELF.  :)

> What's the uname -a for that machine?

bj@morpheus:~$ uname -a
OpenBSD morpheus 2.8 conf#3 i386

> Standouts are the really weird stuff like,
> if memory serves, the sh3 port (the chip used in the mmeye digital
> camera/webserver and also the chip in the dreamcast).

I bought a Dreamcast shortly after the price drop and I heard about the
Linux and NetBSD ports.  :)

> This is, of course, because OpenBSD is basically Theo de Raadt's toy
> based on NetBSD's source tree.

Right.  Has FreeBSD switched to ELF?

> open source (and free
> software, no, I'm not going to argue about whether or not they're
> the same thing)

If I can make a statement without causing a flamewar, I consider them to
be two sides of the same coin; the same basic thing, but with different
emphases.  One philosophical, one pragmatic.  (Although some of
Stallman's writings refer to a "pragmatic idealism" on the Free Software
side.)

I think that both are equally valid, and I use both terms, depending on
who I'm talking to and exactly what sort of meaning I wish to convey.

> I could expound at great length about the executable format
<snip resulting in slight change of meaning>

If you're feeling interested (or just want to do something really sick),
check out http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin