Michael Leone on Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:00:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Starting a new computer user group

> >   * how to recruit speakers
>
> During every meeting, we announce the upcoming subjects, and ask for a
> speaker for the next unscheduled month.  If we get one, we ask for
another.
> People volunteer at the meetings, and in email afterward.

Well, there's always the possibility of doing more of what we've done this
month - i.e., getting a speaker from a vendor of some technology/some
product that the group is in some way interested in. All of our speakers
have always been internal; not all LUGs (or user groups in general) do
presentations like that.

> I don't think you have that advantage.  I can't actually see creating a
> social phenominon around data store retrieval and management.  But then
I'm

Why does you assume that it has to be a social phenomenon as well? There are
many computers groups that exist because of interest in a particular
technology or hardware, and not as social reasons - Apple User Groups,
Netware User Groups, MS Back Office group (yes, there is one), etc. Sounds
like this group would fall into that category - a group for DBAs.

>Not only does your website appear to be unusuable in a text browser, but it
requires flash ?

Well, it looks more like his company's website, and not the group's web
site. The company does proprietary software development - web development to
your data warehouse or back office, it says. They mention Sybase, Oracle,
DB2 and IIS/COM+ technologies.
Out of Blue Bell.

It's a very nice Flash presentation, BTW.