Greg Lopp on Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:24:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] USB Question

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 07:57:00AM -0400, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
> To transfer data between my desktop, and my laptop, I use an MP3
> download device, which hooks up to my USB. The USB works very well in
> Windows, but I cannot find any data concerning the configuration in
> Linux. I am using RedHat version 7.0.
>
> In windows the device shows up as an additional hard drive.
Then it will probably show up under linux as a mass storage
device.

> My question is, what is the name of the device and mount point I need to
> call out in fstab and mtab? (ie /dev/????) The device is a memory chip
> and of course not partioned, so there would only be one name.
>
> Can anyone help?

I first question is do you have USB support in your kernel?  I
think RH7.0 shipped w/ 2.2.16 - therefore no.  If that's the
case, you need to take two steps back to upgrade gcc and then
rebuild your kernel to a 2.4.x version(w/ support for USB, usb
mass storage devices (which implies generic SCSI))  The FAQ
points out that usb-storage doesn't work in the 2.2.x usb
backport versions.  Start at the top of
http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html#gs1 and work your way down.

Also useful for reference :
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/devices.php3