gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:24:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] redhat 7.0 and wu-ftpd

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 01:30:18PM -0400, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> on a related question, I added "fake" entries in /etc/hosts
> and nslookup would still not resolve 192.168.247.xxx
> ..how can I get nslookup to read /etc/hosts first?

Add a line like this:

hosts:		files dns

to /etc/nsswitch.conf.

> I'm having the same problem with ftp server, although adding
> entries to /etc/hosts solved the timout problem for telnet.

Adding fake entries to /etc/hosts is really not such a good idea.
DNS is designed to be used all the time and caches pretty
intelligently.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net