Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:30:05 -0400

[PLUG] rsync --daemon problem

I get the following from rsync in my log (along with no data moving):

Jun 25 12:01:18 descartes rsyncd[22908]: rsyncd version 2.4.1 starting
Jun 25 12:01:24 descartes rsyncd[22909]: reverse name lookup failed
Jun 25 12:01:27 descartes rsyncd[22909]: rsync on jeff from misha@unknown (192.168.0.254)

What I'm doing to get it is the following:

On a  machine at work:

  ssh -p 80 -C -L 1873:descartes:873 -N jeff@...

The idea is to use ssh port forwarding to jump across my firewall at
home.

OK, at home on descartes I start rsync --daemon with the following
config file:

  [jeff]
  comment=Back up Jeff's home directory to a remote server
  path=/home2/jeff
  max connections = 1
  read only = true
  list = true
  auth users = misha
  secrets file = /etc/.rsyncd.secrets
  uid = 500
  hosts allow = *

Now I should be all ready, so I say (at work)

  rsync -n --port=1873 misha@localhost::jeff

I'm asked for my password and then I'm told

  client: nothing to do

But there definitely is something to do: I'm in an empty
directory. And that command is supposed to list the files available in
module jeff.

It doesn't change anything if I drop the -n or if I specify a
destination (rsync -n --port=1873 misha@localhost::jeff .).

On the other hand, if I say "sync -n --port=1873 misha@localhost::", I
do correctly get told about module jeff.

Using nslookup on descartes, I find that 192.168.0.254 resolves to
gw.purple.com (an internal name, of course) and gw.purple.com resolves
to 192.168.0.254.

Any thoughts?

--
 Jeff