M. Jackson Wilkinson on Tue, 3 Jul 2001 21:30:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] some work on the letter to usip.edu

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 09:09:38PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Where do you think English was spoken most in the 17th century,
> being as there *was* no United States, but rather a British colony
> (property of the mother land)?

It was the latter part of the paragraph that I found most interesting,
though, saying that only half of the usage panel found that its use in the
"at present" sense was acceptable.

> Popular usage (and Strunk & White) have reclaimed "presently" for
> what it actually *means*. ("present" is so clearly the root of that
> word it hurts.)

Though I've always felt that if society went though such pains as to change
the meaning away from what would be so incredibly logical, then it should
certainly be honored. :-P

This is just a topic that I debated a while ago (from the other side) and
lost brutally (which tends to be rare in my case), so I take care not to get
into the same situation.  Apologies for any arrogance :-P

--
M. Jackson Wilkinson <jackw@jounce.net>
Jounce Multimedia Services