Adam Schaible on Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:00:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] re: Comcast @ home

It depends on where you are - I'm used to subscribe to
the service when I lived in Bala Cynwyd (Comcast Lower
Merion) and the new cable modem standard is DOCSIS
which is an all-cable format. No phone modems for
upstream packets. A good percentage of the older,
non-DOCSIS compliant modems don't need phone modems
either. However if you are in an outlying area there
is still a small chance you might need one - a friend
in the Allentown area has to use the phone for
upstream (but it's not Comcast cable either).

BTW I had very few problems getting @Home to work on
my Mandrake 7.2 box, as much as I recall it was mostly
just getting all the settings straight in linuxconf. I
was pretty pleased with the service, although upon my
move to Plymouth Meeting recently I was shocked to
learn it's not available here :(

-Adam Schaible

P.S. I just subscribed to the list; is Wednesday
evening's meeting going on as scheduled?

http://www.comcastonline.com/FAQsList.asp?.=.&FAQCategoryID=4#21