Steven Davila on Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:50:07 -0400

[PLUG] MandrakeSecurity Single Network Firewall question...

</lurk>
Has anyone used Mandrake's Secure Firewall installation before (seems
based on Mandrake 6.2)?  Or would I be better starting with a fresh
Mandrake copy and use Bastille-Linux on it?  (One thing about the
Firewall build is it also includes bastille-linux).  Or, would I be yet
better off starting with a fresh pick-yer-own-distro firewall?  If so,
what kernel, 2.2 or 2.4?  I know firewalling changes (ipchains is gone,
then again when I last did firewalling, it was a 2.0 kernel and things
were still different)

The reason I was leaning towards Mandrake is Bastille is built for it.
I preffer SuSE, but am open to any distro if there is an argument for it
making a better firewall/router.

(The install I am going to be for is a three-subnet firewall/router.
One subnet is an App/Mail/FTP DMZ with firewalled but routable IP's.
The second is a masqueraded, DHCP'd (but the server need not provide
this) user subnet (plug n go).  The third is my measely 144K ADSL modem
(damned mixed mode cabling in exton).)

Senkyoo all.

-Steve
<lurk>