Jason Costomiris on Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:20:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] please comment on my new computer specs

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 08:45:07AM -0400, William Shank wrote:
: asus a7m266 motherboard, newegg.com, $172
: athlon 1.33ghz, 266mhz bus cpu, newegg.com, $135

I just tend to stay away from the Athlons..  They're very picky about
power supplies.  With P-III's in the same ballpark, I don't see the need...

Go ape, get an Abit VP6 and a pair of P-III's to go on it...

: sblive value sound card, newegg.com, $40
: 2x 256mb ddr ram, crucial.com, $49.95 each

Great.

: pc power & cooling 350w ps, pcpowercooling.com, $96.75

A little overkill.  How much stuff do you plan to run off of this power
supply?

: Lian-Li pc12 black case, thinkgeek.com, $174.99

Sharp looking case, but a little pricey for my tastes.  I prefer to get
cases from InWin.  About 1/3 of that price for a nice case.  AND it comes
with a 250W ps.

: MC370-BLA Heatsink + 38cfm fan, crazypc.com, $41.98

I've had great success with the Thermaltake Golden Orbs, and they only run
about $12 each..

: Going to use existing voodoo 3 3k video card for now.  Not worrying
: about
: cdrom yet.  Have keyboard & mouse & monitor & hard drive & network card.

That video card will get you decent X performance for today..  I'd think
about a GF2 Ultra or GF3 for the future though.  Forget CD-ROM, DVD-ROM
isn't much more, and is more flexible.  Don't forget a nice CD-RW.

If you need more disk, I've grown quite fond of the IBM drives, particularly
the ATA/100 7200 RPM drives.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.