Kevin Brosius on Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:30:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Relaying, Bell Atlantic and list Reply-To header

Chuck Peters wrote:

> At ccil.org we limit relaying to specified IP's.  The list includes CCIL's
> IP's as well as some other local ISP's.  But this doesn't help if a CCIL
> user is on some big ISP/IP's we don't list.  One solution used is SMTP
> Authenication but only some mail clients like Netscape and Outlook support
> it and that sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better solution?
>
> I would very much prefer to use standard Debian packages on potato or
> woody with LDAP authenication.  Does anyone know what I need to install to
> setup smtp authenication?
>
> I don't know how many of you heard about Verizon/Bell Atlantic ISP
> customers can no longer user the email address of thier choice.  They are
> forced into using a Reply-To if they wish to use an outside domain for
> mail (and they use the Bell smtp relay servers).  It was last week that I
> read the article, so I don't have the link handy, but it did say that
> 50,000 of the 950,000 customers are effected.
>
> Today I returned a call to a CCIL user/Bell customer about this issue and
> that reminded me about PLUG using this Reply-To on lists.  If this CCIL
> user/Bell customer were on the list, his Reply-To would be rewritten by
> the list header rewrite.  I don't know how many of you will have problems
> with this, but we may have a few list members that are Bell customers and
> use other email addresses.

An additional twist, some mailing list handlers will honor a users
Reply-To setting when set, otherwise they will mung the Reply-To.  I
know some of the XFree86 mailing lists work this way.  For example, if I
set my Reply-To address in Netscape, then the messages to the list have
my Reply-To set.  If I don't set it, the Reply-To is set to the list.

Personally, I don't care either way.  I find both methods get in the way
of some attempts at replying to the desired receipts.  (Yeah, I probably
ought to start using mutt...)

--
Kevin Brosius