John Beck on Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:40:05 -0400

[PLUG] Help starting X and Gnome in Slackware 8.0

I need some help getting X to start in my user account. I just installed
Slackware 8.0, with Gnome 1.4. It boots to a command
 prompt, which is fine, so I log in as root and type: startx

 Everything starts fine and works without a problem. Gnome 1.4 is great! Now, I
added a user by doing: useradd jbeck Next, I set my
 password: passwd jbeck

 Now I go to log in, and everything is fine, except that it says it can't find a
home directory, so it is using /home. I wasn't quite sure
 how to make my default directory be something like /home/jbeck ?

 Next, I typed startx at the command prompt, and I got a few messages, which
includes:
 Xauth: timeout in locking authority files //.Xauthority
 Xauth: timeout in locking authority files //.Xauthority
 Xauth: timeout in locking authority files //.Xauthority

 Followed by a bunch of stuff that scrolled past me, and then:

 cat://Xauthority: no such file or directory
 Gnome-ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome Directory <./gnome> - aborting

 Can anyone please help with specific directions on how to finish setting up my
user directory to default to /home/jbeck instead of just
 /home, and how to get X and Gnome to start?  As you can tell, I am a newbie, so
please try not to make many assumptions to my knowledge, other than my ability
to follow your directions!  :-)

 Thanks for your help!

 John