gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:30:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] IP masquerading problem

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 06:01:51PM -0400, Michael F. Robbins wrote:
> If you're using a DSL line (or maybe other connections too?) their might
> be a weird MTU setting.

Hrm. Some DSLs go through an ATM block at the ISP, but I hadn't
heard Verizon was doing that with ADSL in this area. (They *are*
doing it with SDSL in the NYC area.)

> For example, with my Verizon DSL at home, the
> computers have to be set to a MTU of 1306.  It's because of the PPPoE
> overhead.  And that's what can cause certain sites to work, and other
> ones not to.

Oh, never mind. That's just typical PPPoE brain damage.

> Take a look at ifconfig, and see if it has any weird MTU settings.

Well, if one has a DSL modem (even one as a PCI card) it should be
taking care of this already (and issuing appropriate "must fragment"
or "can't fragment" or whatever it's called responses).

tcpdump on the firewall (ideally one on each interface at the same
time) during the time in which a Windows box tries to load a web
page may be instructive as to why the packets aren't making it. (Is
the request making it out and the response not coming back? Is the
server refusing to respond for some reason? The response just
getting hooked on the outside of the FW/GW on the way back?)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net