John Beck on Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:20:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Newbie to the list and linux; need help w/ modem

Bernie Selvey wrote:

> I recently installed Red Hat 7.0 as a dualboot w/ win2k pro. I just
> purchased an external modem that is compatiable w/ Linux, and can not get
> Linux to recognize it. I have followed the instructions given to me

What instructions did they give you?  What type of external modem is it?

> and
> contacted support, but to no avail. Please any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Do you know what serial port (com2, com3, etc) the modem is on?  I believe
that RedHat 7.0 has the modem configuration tool (or internet connection
wizard - I forget what its called...) that will search for the modem.  I had
a problem with an older computer that the serial port I used wasn't active in
the BIOS - I had to "turn it on" in the BIOS, and then I ran the tool and it
found it.  The other thing that you can do is if you know the specs, use the
wizard to set up your internet connection, and then instead of searching for
it, just specify the com port and the speed.  If it still doesn't work, try
using minicom to initialize the modem - I believe that if it is working /
configured properly, you will probably see some activity on the lights on the
front of the modem.  One last thing - I seem to recall there being something
with the "setserial" command that might need to be done...  It has been a
long time since I had to get the dial up modem working, and I am still a
relative newbie myself, so maybe someone else can chime in and explain if
that is relevant.  Or you can just look at the MAN page for setserial...  :-)

Good luck!

John