Michael C. Toren on Sun, 19 Aug 2001 16:18:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] gnucash 1.6 and potato

> In addition, it's not clear how to get apt to upgrade me on gnucash
> without breaking all manner of things. (In other words, I don't want
> to move to woody/testing for everything.)
>
> Is there a clean way to do this?

One alternative is to grab the gnucash source package from the unstable
distribution, and attempt to build it on your potato machine.  The steps
you'll want to go through are something along the lines of:

    wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnucash/gnucash_1.6.1.orig.tar.gz \
    	http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnucash/gnucash_1.6.1-3.diff.gz \
    	http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnucash/gnucash_1.6.1-3.dsc

    dpkg-source -x gnucash_1.6.1-3.dsc
    cd gnucash-1.6.1
    fakeroot -- dpkg-buildpackage

If you run into a situation where the compile process complains that
xyz.h wasn't found on your system, the *second* search engine listed at
<http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages> can help you determine what Debian
package provides the necessary file.  (The latest Debian package standards
definition adds a new package control header, "build-depends", which will
automate this process in the future.)

> Incidentally, I understand woody is nearing being declared stable. How

Well, it's nearing, but it's not there quite yet.  For more information, see:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2001/debian-devel-announce-200106/msg00014.html>
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2001/debian-devel-announce-200107/msg00011.html>
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2001/debian-devel-announce-200108/msg00002.html>

> does this work? Does an apt-get update / upgrade / dist-upgrade
> suddenly pull lots of packages some day?

When the release takes place, the "stable" symlink that currently points to
potato will be moved to point to woody.  So long as your sources.list file
references the stable directory, rather than referencing potato directly,
doing an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade your system to
woody, automagically.  It's a thing of beauty, really.

-mct