Beldon Dominello on Mon, 20 Aug 2001 04:10:10 +0200

[PLUG] Microsoft in Linux Mag

I'm not sure how many on this list read Linux Magazine (as opposed to LJ),
but starting in August, Microsoft has taken out two-page ads touting their
"Web Hoster Program" (http://www.microsoft.com/isp).

I'm wondering what people think about this-- regardless of what you think of
Linux Mag.

I'm currently engaged (privately) in a protracted e-mail discussion with Adam
Goodman, the editor of Linux Magazine.  He's (so far) been gracious and
responsive-- in spite of some pretty obvious disagreements between us.  I
hope to post this debate at some point in the future in its entirely (with
Adam's permission, of course) and will in any case summarize the arguments
back and forth, but I'm wondering what, if any, reaction this particular list
has to this.  Is it imporoper for a magazine which touts itself as "The
Chronicle of the Revolution" to provide advertising space for a company that
doesn't offer support for Linux and by all accounts would like to see us
disappear or suffocate like so many of its former competitors?  Or is it
revolution any more?  Have we out-grown the revolutionary menatlity-- or,
rather, should we?  Is it that at all-- or something else?

Personally, I don't hate Microsoft as much as hate what they do and how they
do business.  I made the comment that Linux Mag running the ad was like a
vegetarian magazine running a "Beef:  Real food for real people" ad.

I know my position, but I'm interested what others think.

(Let the floodgates open)

--
Snacktrek, n.:
	The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of constantly