Arthur Alexion on Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:30:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Font/ghostscript help needed

On 8/23/01, 4:42:25 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@lazerware.com> wrote
regarding Re: [PLUG] Font/ghostscript help needed:

> At 05:22 PM 8/23/2001 +0000, Arthur Alexion wrote:

>          What type of printer?   Postscript (Adobe or clone?), PCL or
> raster?  What fonts are you using?  Type 1 or TrueType?

Epson Stylus 740 Color Printer
Type I Fonts (pfm & pfb)

> >I will take your advice.  I tried upgrading to the "commercial, but free
> >for personal use" version once before, but the upgraded version used
> >different directories, and the printer could not find it anymore.  What
> >did I do wron, or what did I fail to do right?

>          I don't know what you did wrong or right, since I wasn't
> there.  What I CAN tell you is that if you run old versions of software
> (esp. ones that "suck rocks through a garden hose"), all bets are off!

I think the difference is between the GNU and Alladin versions.  I think
the Alladin versions use different directories than the GNU versions.
Either that or the RedHat rpm is different from the Mandrake rpm as far
as directories used.  To be safe, I downloaded both the Alladin 7.0
ghostscript (newest) and the RedHat/GNU 6.51 ghostscript (newest of that
category).  I'll query the rpms to see what directories they will use and
install the newest that is compatible with my directory structure.

Thanks for continuing to help.

Art