Jarvis, John on Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:20:11 +0200

RE: [PLUG] Linksys router / general networking questions

John,

The first thing I would do would be to read the linksys manual :) All you
need to do is set up port forwarding on the linksys to route incoming
requests for port 80 to your redhat box.  You shoud do likewise if you plan
to run mail services or ftp (bad), telnet (bad), ssh (good).

You can set up the router to use DHCP although I usually turn that off, if
you only have 3 machines I suggest that leave DHCP off and make up your own
IP addresses on the CLASS C reserved 192.168.x.x and use your the dsl router
as a gateway.

For example, my setup.

DSL router - 192.168.64.1

3 linux boxes
maggie	192.168.64.2
bart		192.168.64.3
lisa		192.168.64.4

And one ME box
homer		192.168.64.5

When you set up the linux boxes you will need to specify the linksys router
box as your gateway, put in your ISPs DNS servers and you will be ready to
rock.

My IP address is dynamic so I wrote a small perl script that grabs the IP
address from the linksys box and updates my entry at dyndns.org, if you want
I can let you look at it.. its pretty simple, just does a wget on the
router, compares it to the last IP address and updates my dynamic dns if
necessary.

-John