kaze on Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:20:11 +0200

[PLUG] Re: Linksys router / general networking questions

I have the LinkSys BEFSR11 AKA "baby linky", this is the 1 LAN port,
otherwise the same as the 4 LAN port - I already had a switch so...

Everything posted already is totally true, research the firmware upgrades
prior to using, avoid DHCP for previously posted reasons PLUS it is mutually
exclusive with something else very useful like NAT or port forwarding; I
forget which, but they don't make it obvious in the manuals. The CD is not
that important, just .pdfs etc. I think, I didn't use it. The main problem I
have is with having to reboot the router sometimes: It seems when there are
a bunch of uploads and downloads on my Gnutella and I browse the web and do
email - the thing will totally lock up - the web GUI is gone and I can't
even ping it. Also I have yet to get it to work the way I want it to insofar
as port forwarding to a LAN FTP server etc. Overall it works great, but if I
had to do it again I would get one which is a little more stable and
supports telnet too. I wish Cisco made a ~$200 IOS router!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even
touched. They must be felt with the heart.
-- Helen Keller