Dave Turner on Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:30:54 +0200

[PLUG] Does restricting partial words weaken passwords?

We discussed on Saturday whether rejecting parts of dictionary words in
passwords would make less secure passwords.

We assumed that a word fragment had 3 characters.

Chance of password of n characters containing part of a dictionary word:
3 = 42.75%
4 = 67.22%
5 = 81.23%
6 = 89.25%
7 = 93.85%
8 = 96.48%

Now vary the size of a word fragment:
1 = 26
100% of search space

90.24% of search space

42.75% of search space

10.19% of search space

1.05% of search space

Other stuff:
Word count of dictionary: 263,533 words.
Size of normal abridged dictionary: about 1/4th of that.
Size of average vocabulary (sources vary wildly): 30,000

--
-[Dave Turner                                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859]
*** Error: The method "java.lang.Object newInstance();" can throw the