Bill Jonas on Sat, 1 Sep 2001 05:00:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Still Struggling with sendmail..............Help..(please)

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 07:01:15PM -0400, Mike Taylor wrote:
> I am struggling with sendmail.  The version is 8.11.2 that is
> included with RedHat 7.1.  I have a POP server installed, and I get
> no errors when I check it with my client, but I am not able to pass
> mail through the system.  You can send mail from Sendmail itself.
> But it will not allow me to pass any through sending or receiving.  I
> do have virtual hosts set up and have configured the aliases as per
> the instructions.  I am willing to pay for a tutorial if someone has
> the time.

Where are you trying to send mail from?  I presume it's not on the same
box since you're using POP to pick up your mail.

What are the contents of /etc/mail/access?  What does
/etc/mail/sendmail.cw (or /etc/mail/local-host-names) contain?  I'm not
a sendmail guru, but I'll do what I can to help.  /etc/mail/sendmail.cw
(or local-host-names) contains a list of what should be considered to be
local host names (for addresses like, for example,
user@local-host-name).  /etc/mail/access should contain a list of IP
addresses (or partials, like 192.168.10) that are permitted to relay
mail through the machine, each line containing "RELAY" at the end.  (Or,
if you want to specifically exclude, "DENY" (I think).)  If you modify
the access file, you'll need to rebuild the access.db file.  I don't
know how it's done on RedHat, but with Debian you'd cd to /etc/mail and
run "make".

BTW, please take note of
<http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/help/html-off.html#OE> and
<http://www.law.uoregon.edu/technology/docs/plaintext.html>.  (I include
them both since it looks like the cover different versions, and it's
been a while since I've used Outlook Express, so I'm not sure which
would apply to version 5.)  Why should you worry about this?  Many
people on this list have expressed a dislike for HTML email... these are
the people you are asking for help.  Also, there is a security benefit,
too, particularly if you don't regularly visit
<http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>: see
<http://www.bugnet.com/alerts/bugalert_010215.html> for more
information.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin