Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:20:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Networking - part II

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 08:35:04AM -0400, John Beck wrote:
> Good morning everyone!
>
> Ok, here is what I have - I got the Linksys Router we were
> discussing about 2 weeks ago (Cable / DSL router with 4-Port 10/100
> Switch).  Currently, I only have my Dual boot Win 98 / slackware 8.0
> computer running through it.  Seeing as I use @home cable, I
> assigned the Router = to the computer name and workgroup that I use
> for Comcast service (20120-C, @HOME).  So, first question is: Can
> and should I rename the windows computer, seeing as the router is
> using the values needed for comcast?

You're behind a NAT'ing router? Then you should probably want to use a
192.168.0.0 net on the inside. In any case, you can't invent @home
names or numbers. Maybe I'm missing your question.

> Ok, next question: As soon as I can run the 75 feet of cable, I am
> going to hook up the standalone Linux computer.  My intentions are
> to have the linux computer primarily run apache / php / mySQL, and
> act as a web server to host a very small web site, and also allow me
> to test different web site configurations.  I would want the web
> site I host to be accessible to the outside, which I believe can be
> done via port forwarding of port 80, or by configuring the DMZ.
> What I need advice on is, using RedHat 7.1, would it be best to do a
> workstation installation, and just install Apache and PHP, or is it
> best to do a "Server" installation (which I have never done before)?
> I am not sure what the differences are...  I really don't think I
> need all the stuff that comes with a server install, but could be
> wrong...  Also, along those lines, anytime I installed linux (I am a
> newbie at this), and was asked for localhost and localdomain, I just
> left them at the defaults (localhost.localdomain).  Should I be
> naming them?  If so, what values???

A server install will give you what you want. Be sure to disable
dangerous things, since RH isn't to tight on security. Especially if
you are going to be accessible to the outside world (via port
forwarding, for example).

What's dangerous. That's a long conversation... But at least read some
of the security faq's and LDP docs on the subject.

Name? Well, you'll want to be accessible to the outside world at some
name. That would be a good start. But naming inside your NAT realm is
a touchy subject, since you aren't reachable from the outside.

I give names on my LAN that are meaningful to me but don't resolve
outside. So purple.com knows about www, list, and puddle. Inside I've
got gw, diderot, and descartes. Those last three resolve for me to
192.168.0.0 addresses; they won't resolve for you. This works for me
and my needs.

> Finally, this is more of a general networking question, but I would
> like each computer attached to this router / switch to be able to
> see each other...  This involves linux seeing windows, windows
> seeing linux, windows seeing windows (sorry, but I had to ask!  :-),
> etc.  Can anyone give some guidance to this.  The only example I can
> give is the Windows computer accessing .mp3's saved on another
> windows computer (ex: WinME laptop playing .mp3's from the main
> Win98 computer), and more importantly, me being able to transfer
> files between the linux and windows computers, without going through
> the outside network...  Can anyone please point me in the right
> direction with this?  I am only vaguely familiar with the network
> neighborhood concept in Windows, and even then, I have never set it
> up.  From what I read, this has to do with the workgroups, and that
> the computers that see each other need to be in the same workgroup,
> which is why I asked those first few questions.

As soon as you're pondering workgroups, it's no longer a tcp/ip
question but a Win configuration issue. I can't help, sorry.

But I'm confused. Above you were talking about a DMZ, which suggests
to me that you have someting like

       (--) (--) (--) -- @home/internet -- (--) (--) \

						  gateway

                          DMZ: /--------------------------------\
			       |	|	|	|	|
			   internal   host1   host2   host3   host4
			    gateway

               /--------------------------------\
	       |	|	|	|	|
	     host5    host6   host7   host8   host9

Then you want to port-forward from gateway to, say, host3.

If you are less careful and less funded, you scrap the DMZ and have

       (--) (--) (--) -- @home/internet -- (--) (--) \

						  gateway

				/--------------------/

               /--------------------------------\
	       |	|	|	|	|
	     host5    host6   host7   host8   host9

And then you portforward from gateway to, say, host6. But then a
breach on host6 leaves your whole LAN at risk and/or requires
hardening all the machines inside.

> Thanks for all of your help, and I apologize for the very lengthy post!

I'm currently quite empathetic to the occasional need for lengthy
posts. ;-)

--
 Jeff