Jason Nocks on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:48:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with dual boot disaster

On Thursday 13 September 2001 12:54 pm, you wrote:
> Hi--
>
> After about a month, my dual boot Windows 2000 Professional/Red Hat 7.2
> Sony Viao laptop, when in Windows mode, gave me a blue screen of death,
> and when I rebooted, an "operating system not found" message. Booting
> the machine from DOS on a floppy shows that no drives... The disk was
> partitioned with Partition Magic. The last software I installed (in
> Windows) was a Bernouili CD burner (ironically, for the backups I
> didn't perform).

Is the "operating system not found" message coming from the BIOS or the NT
Bootloader? They both spit out messages quite similar to this. If it's from
the BIOS, ignore my previous post. Your partition table may be trashed. Or,
it may be just your master boot record (if you're lucky). For that matter,
how many drives do you have?

Sorry it took me a few minutes to wake up and start asking some questions.
Never assume...

> Obviously, I want to reconfigure the machine as Linux only, but is
> there any way I can get my Windows data back? (There's about 5 days of
> Python coding on it I want to get back...
>
> Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
>
> Sam Hunting

It's nice to have an actual somewhat technical issue to work with today.

-Jason Nocks