Gerald D. Neale on Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:00:31 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Is now the time for Linux on the desktop advocacy?

I use Linux as a primary desktop at home, and not as a
command line. I use a nice GNOME 2.2 GUI and it's
fast, stable, and does everyhting I want it to which
is alot.

For the rest of the family it's got fast web-browsing,
great sound, CD-burning capability, and is somewhat
pretty to look at. They are slowly using it more and
more.

This desktop is so rock-solid that it has only crashed
once since it was installed (about a year ago).

It's ready to be promoted I think, but there is always
that feeling to wait for what is next and then start
talking. True that my desktop would be much more awe
inspiring if Nautilus worked properly, or Evolution,
or Mozilla...etc. But it's pretty solid as-is. If
you're into solid.
Cheers,
Jerry

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010920/tc/microsoft_customers_chafe_at_lic
> ense_changes_1.html
>
> I'm wondering if now is the time to try to make
> serious inroads on the
> desktop? With M$ customer "rape" licensing, many IT
> managers may be willing
> to look closely at using linux for more than just
> file/print/web serving.
> This could be a good opportunity to get a foot in
> the door with IT desktops
> systems. I think a well configured and stripped down
> linux running KDE2.2 or
> Ximian Gnome and OpenOffice 6 is sufficient for many
> corporate users. I use
> a linux workstation at work, and have gotten to the
> point that I don't even
> need VMWare at work anymore. What have your
> experiences been?
>
> -Chris

=====
The Cherry hill Linux User's Group
meets on the first Monday of every month.
http://www.chlug.org