gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:40:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] huge /var/log

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 07:23:07PM -0400, Chuck Peters wrote:
> I fixed the problem and deleted the logs.  I just don't know why it was a
> problem...  Can someone tell me why full duplex is a bad thing for a
> network card?

Uh... it's not. It means that the card's actually transmitting in
both directions at the same time, as it's supposed to.

> The machine causing the problem has a 3com net card and was
> spewing junk in the logs.  The other machine has a Kingston KNE20bt
> (ne driver) and I have had it set for full duplex for years.

The problem is definitely not the machine with the Kingston card
(though that's not exactly the best of chipsets).

Sounds like you haven't got your 3com card set up right. What's the
network hardware involved? Why can't this card autonegotiate full
duplex with it? Can you use ifconfig to force it to full duplex
(should be ifconfig media-opts fdx, or something similar)?

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net