gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:40:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 03:14:54PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Would you do this?

No. But I don't have an already-running WinNT backup system.

> Configure Red Hat 6.2 to use Samba to share it's entire directory
> structure as read-only. Map the Linux drive on a WinNT server. Configure
> backup software already running under WinNT to back up the Linux drive
> to a 12/24G tape drive bolted into the WinNT server.

Only if the samba configure time and effort is cheaper than a tape
drive for the Linux system.

> Are there any security and/or restore issues with this arrangement?

Going to be kind of hard to restore to a read-only share, no?

Also, does Samba support 8bit character sets? \s in file names?
There are various things that are legal under Unix-style file
systems that won't work under NT. Are you using any kind of ACL
system? How about the user maps, do you want stuff to come back with
the same ownership and permissions? Getting that to work across
Samba is hard enough without throwing a Windows backup solution into
the mix...

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net