Bret Silberman on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:50:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

Title: Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

Rsync has some very nice features that allows you to do incremental backups. Using the --backup and --backup-dir=x options, you can keep a "full" snapshot of the remote (or local) system, and daily incrementals (change the location of the backup dir to systemname/2001/09/26). When using the --backup option, it cmpares the remote system to the local full dir. If different, it moves the old copy from the full dir to the backup dir, then downloads the curent ver to the full dir. Use should also use full paths to make sure you don't overwrite two files with the same name in the incremental backup dir. If you want to keep multiple fulls, ust rotate the name of the full dir much the same way you would rotateing syslog. If you are going to do thi, I recommend rsyncing the last full to the location of the current full so that (1) you don't use the network to pull the entire new dir down and (2) you have something to check incrementals against.

PS: anyone know any good companies hiring good linux sysadmins and network engineers. Resume online at http://www.microserve.net/~bret. Thanks.

--bret

Bret Silberman
Senior Systems & Network Engineer