eric@lucii.org on Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:16:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] KDE Window Dimensions

Interesting idea.  Normally, in X related geometry, you can specify
BOTH size and position like this: -geometry 100x60+22+18
which describes a window 100 by 60 located by it's uppper left
corner at (22,18)

I don't find a Konq "man" page and "knoqueror --help" does not list
the geometry option.  Nevertheless, it works.  To ease your
calculations, start konqueror and then size it and place it
precisely where you want it.  Then enter the command "xwininfo"
in a terminal window.  Your cursor becomes a plus sign (+).
Click on the konqueror window with the plus cursor and you'll have
the geometry info for that window appear in the terminal (along
with a bunch of other window information.)

Here is an sample xwininfo output for knoqueror:

(Note that the geometry is neatly placed at the end of the
 xwininfo output to make it simple to find and copy to your
 shortcut or script.)

||    eric]$ xwininfo
||    xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
||              would like information by clicking the
||   	   mouse in that window.
||   xwininfo: Window id: 0x1e0000a "Konqueror"
||   Absolute upper-left X:  252
||   Absolute upper-left Y:  152
||   Relative upper-left X:  0
||   Relative upper-left Y:  0
||   Width: 1024
||   Height: 819
||   Depth: 16
||   Visual Class: TrueColor
||   Border width: 0
||   Class: InputOutput
||   Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
||   Bit Gravity State:  NorthWestGravity
||   Window Gravity State:  NorthWestGravity
||   Backing Store State:  NotUseful
||   Save Under State: no
||   Map State: IsViewable
||   Override Redirect State: no
||   Corners: +252+152 -4+152  -4-53 +252-53
||   -geometry 1024x819-0-45

Have fun!

Eric Lucas

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 08:18:31PM +0000, Mark Schonbach wrote:

#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#  And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
#              -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.