gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 12 Oct 2001 18:20:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] 802.11 with DevFS on 2.4.12

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:49:01AM -0400, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> 	I have gotten my new DLink DWL-500 cards and i have followed the howtos to
> get pcmcia installed.  I can use the card utilites and can ident the card.
> But since I have no dev entry in the /dev/ for it.

Well, what does the documentation with the pcmcia ethernet driver
have to say? Is there an LKM that needs to be insmod'ed? Also, why
is lacking a /dev entry for the card causing you trouble? Can you
not use ifconfig to configure the card and locate a base station?
(Or set the card in adhoc mode and detect the other card?)

> Has anyone a clue about how to get one there? Or what device it might be, I
> also noticed eth0 is missing too, but ifconfig eth0 works....

Ethernet interfaces are not something you would want user land to
have device level access to, which is why they are seldom exported
and ifconfig is used for all interface configuration under any
BSD-like OS. (Note that System V, notably Solaris, *does* put the
ethernet interfaces in the device hierarchy, but does not export all
aspects of the device--so far as I know, you couldn't just cat
data into /dev/hme and expect ethernet packets to appear on the
port, though I admit to never having tried that; there, one uses
something like ndd to do control bits that fall either under ifconfig
or sysctl in the BSD-esque world. This is one of the aspects of
Linux that is BSD-like.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net