gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 27 Oct 2001 02:48:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] libc.so.5

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 05:09:46PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Found it. Thanks!

Make sure that this libc.so.5 RPM hasn't written over the main
libc.so sym link from your system, which you want to point to the
appropriate libc.so that came with your system (with RH 6.2, it
might well be libc.so.4). Your kernel wants that shared object, and
if your kernel gets confused about libc, you're in for a world of
hurt.

(In any kind of sane world, your kernel is explicitly looking for
libc.so.4 not accepting any old libc.so, but you're not living in
quite a sane world, you're living in the RedHat world. As much
respect as I have for the people I know at Cygnus, and as much as RH
releases have gotten much better recently--though I could do without
that xinetd cruft--you're using the most bug-ridden RH release to
date.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net