William H. Magill on Thu, 1 Nov 2001 21:30:16 +0100

RE: [PLUG] ASCII encoding question...

>   it looks like the vi editor on the host machine doesn't recognize extended
>   ascii - because when i scp the file back (the one that looks to have been
>   converted) my local editors show the extended characters.

That's because ASCII is a standard and is a 7-bit code. Hence that's what
unix an vi or emacs support.

There is no such thing as "extended ASCII" from a standards point of
view... unless your definition of standard is - whatever Microsoft does.

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/