Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:50:11 +0100

Re: SuSE 7.3 (Re: [RE: [RE: [[PLUG] Fonts?]]])

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:07:19AM -0500, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
> Yeah, but Red Hat just changed their pricing.  The old Standard Package,
> which was 30 dollars, is now 60.  The version has less than the old
> Workstation version for the same price.  Then you move right up to the
> Workstation/Server version for 200 dollars.  No more middle of the road
> version to make it seem worthwhile to buy.  Now I am trying to see which
> distro I would like to switch to.

Distro questions quickly get into religion and rehash, but I'll still
take the bate:

I recently switched to Debian, and I've been really happy. Debian
sucks a bit on device recognition--you often have to just know that
your ethernet card needs, say, a 3c59z driver or whatever it
needs. But other than that, the freeness is excellent. And when I want
something new, being able to apt-get it and be done with it is truly
liberating after years of Redhat and Mandrake and searching for rpm's
and their dependencies.

--
 Jeff