Bob Razler on Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:19:10 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Newbie

Kevin:

	Well, I am not looking to install FrontPage extensions, so I
guess the only option is editing a page locally and then uploading it
via FTP.

Bob Razler
Approvals Manager
Heritage Building Group, Inc.
Suite A-100
3326 Old York Road
Furlong, PA 18925
215.794.0550, ext. 117

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Brosius
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 11:59 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Newbie

Bob Razler wrote:

> Hello:
>
>         Well, once every couple months I get the urge to finally get
> proficient with *nix.  I started with SuSE 6.x and have been trying
> everything up to SuSE 7.1.  Then I jumped over the FreeBSD.  I always
> seem to hit road blocks that sidetrack me and I end up moving on to
> other issues.
>
>         Here is what I would like your shared wisdom on:  Right now I
> run a web/email server at home.  It runs Win2k/Exchange 5.5.  I want
> get a *nix box up and running to host my webpage at home.  I am going
> stick with exchange for email because my family is already too
> entrenched in it for me to switch now.  It also offers some features
> that I just don't see as being available with any email host offered
in
> the UNIX community.  Which distro do you recommend?  Linux?  BSD?  Can
> you recommend a good book or a good source of information on setting
up
> a web server?   I already have learned how to build, install and
> configure (basically) Apache on SuSE and BSD.  My real problem is that
> would like to know how to configure Apache and the OS to allow for
> remote editing of the web pages.
>
>         I appreciate your help.

I'm a SuSE fan, although I wouldn't say it's any better than other
distros...

What type of remote editing of web pages did you have in mind?  I
maintain a couple simple web pages, and can edit them remote.  But that
only means I can 'ssh' into the machine and then change the content with
a text/emacs editor and update them.  Did you have something more in
mind?

On SuSE, this is fairly easy to setup, as Apache (which you already
know) and ssh are included with 7.1 (although there is a security update
available from the SuSE website you'll want to download.)

--
Kevin Brosius