Charles Stack on Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:50:11 +0100

RE: [PLUG] The spirit also took Scrooge

BTW, I was responding to a statement from whom I believe represents Netaxes
where she said that this person is a dialup user and was questioning their
terms of service.

Yes.  It is our business.  If their actions (the infected user) are in
violation of their terms of service and it impacts me, a non-customer, then
it is my business.

This individual puts an infected machine on the network and then fails to
take corrective action.  Under the new anti-terrorism laws, I believe their
is wording that *intentional* spreading of computer viruses constitutes a
terrorist act.

The unintentional spreading becomes intentional when they are notified and
fail to take corrective action (such as pulling the computer from the
network until it can be cleaned).  At the very least, the ISP should block
the account until they have successfully notified the customer and
corrective action has taken place.

You do not know if others have been affected by this virus yet or not.
Clearly, there are other Windows users amongst us who may not yet have
picked up their e-mail.  If their machines are not properly protected, then
the damage to their systems can be quite extreme.  They may not have had the
ability to respond because of the actions of this virus.  Just because this
this the Philadelphia Linux Users Group does not imply that everyone
accessing it at all times is doing so through a Linux powered terminal.

Lately, I've seen more and more viruses being sent by otherwise respectful
groups.  I unsubscribed from OpenSSL after receiving over 100 virus laden
messages (and countless SPAM) and the list manager failed to correct the
problem.  Netfilter also had the same sort of problem, but they proactively
installed a virus scanner to eliminate most of the nasties.  Should not PLUG
be doing the same?  Why not simply strip out all attachments and eliminate
HTML based e-mail prior to broadcasting the message?  Then, these types of
messages will not be a bother any longer and you won't see rants like this
one on the subject.

Now...I will let it die.