gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:24:34 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DSL recs?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 02:41:52PM -0500, paul@dpagin.net wrote:
> Off topic: I saw an ad for wireless broadband, but I didn't really look
> into it.  I wonder how wireless compares to DSL and cable.

Just great if you're two stories around everything else in your
block.

Broadband wireless means fixed wireless (it's a microwave signal),
which necessitates line of sight.

I investigated, and eventually went with, just this kind of system
at a former employer (habanero.com, presuming they're still in
business; don't ask). The provider was WorkNet
(http://www.worknet.net/, though it seems that their web page is
nothing but a splash screen... either that, or Flash dependent).
It worked quite well (T1-speed connection for an office of around
25 people, no wires pulled except inside, and I did all that), but
largely because the company had just moved into a five story building
that towered over the rest of the two-stories around it and had a
*very* clear line of sight from the roof (where WN's dish on our
building lived) to the central dish array.

This was all in downtown St. Louis, MO. I don't know if WorkNet's
around any more, much less whether or not they offer service here,
but the principle of wide-wavelength microwave for fixed wireless
works pretty well in an office environment. Out in the suburbs for a
home connection, or even in a non-tall building, not so much.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net