Bill Jonas on Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:30:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Scanner Networking?

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:49:56AM -0500, paul@dpagin.net wrote:
> That just made me think of something.  Can't the GIMP be run as a
> networked application?  If the scanner is attached to the server
> projecting the GIMP, could I access the scanner on the server from a
> remote system?  Hmm...

Actually, most any X application can be run over the network; that's one
of the things the X Window protocol was designed to do.

The simplest way I've found to do this is to just ssh somewhere with
'ssh -X'.  This will set everything up for you so you don't have to mess
with xauth or xhost yourself.  I believe it's also one of the more
secure ways.  Make sure you have 'ForwardX11 yes' in your ssh config
file (/etc/ssh/ssh_config or ~/.ssh/config) and 'X11Forwarding yes' in
your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.  Then just 'ssh -X host' and run the
gimp.  :)

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html