Bradley Molnar on Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:06:44 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Samba Issue

i'm not sure how you are mounting the drives, but, next time you try
mounting, try this

mount -t smbfs -o username=<domain of 2k machine>\<username on w2k machine>
//<machine name>/<share> /path/to/mount/point

W2K requires Lanman2 or higher (it prefers 3, or so my network administrator
says).  Anyway, Lanman1 (which most of us are most familiar with) uses
username and password authentication.  Lanman2 uses a domain as well to get
permissions (i think).

Samba and newer kernels support the method shown above (i know for a fact
that 2.2.16 does NOT work, but, 2.4.4 does).  Also, be careful with changing
permissions.  If the share is NTFS, it has many permissions that you won't
be able to see (such as full control and others), and you don't want to mess
them up (i'm not totally sure what it would do, as, i have never tried it).

hope it helps
-brad

---
Have I got a long way to run -- Collective Soul