multiple seriousity on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 04:10:26 +0100

Re: [PLUG] @home

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Bill Patterson wrote:
> Does anyone have a plan for the potential disruption of @home service
> November 30?  Is there a place to go with Linux?  Netzero says they will
> only work with Windows programs.

Call your cable company, and get their offical word on the subject,
maybe? Rumour has it that comcast at least was working on options and
possibly ramping up their own services for just such a possibility.  I
actually spoke to comcast recently -- in my attempt to track down some
broadband in the hillarious saga that is my DSL efforts.. and asked them
about this recently... (btw, comcast, well, was turning on people for a
three-month free trial from october-december..)I suppose people might want
to try to get turned on just to try it, have the pipe for the month.. but
considering this recent turn of events.. they might not want to turn
anybody else on... oh, btw.. if anybody needs it, I have a cable modem for
sale (new) [I don't currently have even coax installed in my house and
don't feel like dealing with it, and the installation fees right now.]

As far as dial-up goes... check thelist.com (?) I checked there recently,
and found several extremely low cost dial-up ISPs.  Also, I think if you
have an American Express card... they have an ISP program.. also, you
might want to check address.com  - they have a freebie... but personally I
couldnt get it working under windows... so I dont know if I did something
wrong on signing up, or what.  Also, you might want to try NetZero under
wine, if you run it at all.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Artists Resource Project: www.slackware.com/~msimons/arts/reuse/